How many times have you looked at your clothings care label and seen the following: polyester, nylon, spandex, or acrylic? We come across these fabrics so often we barely notice them. What do they have in common? Well, they're synthetic. Synthetic fabrics are man-made and produced synthetically, meaning they do not even exist naturally anywhere on the planet! Over on the other side of the table, we have natural fabrics. Natural fabrics, as the name suggests, are fabrics that are naturally-derived; made of animal or plant-based fibres. Now we're talking about these guys: cotton, wool, silk, hemp and linen.
If you've been following TWAN's journey in eco friendly clothing for a while, you'll already know where we stand. If you're new here, allow us to introduce ourselves and our stance on fabrics. As a sustainable clothing brand, we value the health of the future of our planet, including it's children. We create pieces with fabrics free of harsh chemicals, waxes, and formaldehyde, organic cotton is softer and gentler on sensitive skin—which is ideal for toddlers and children.
When picking up new clothing, the style and shape are the obvious attributes we focus on. Any parent who is shopping for their child's groceries will certainly check the label for chemicals and pollutants, and we're here to raise awareness that clothing should be no different! Here's where it gets tricky though, because even if you only shop for natural fabrics like cotton, you could still be buying toxins. What the label won’t tell you is that unless that cotton is organic, it has often been treated with harmful chemicals that can’t always be washed away and, thus, could be absorbed by you or your child's skin.
Read on to learn our top 5 reasons parents should be choosing organic cotton basics for their children:
- Reduce our kids’ exposure to toxins. Today, over 8,000 synthetic chemicals are used to produce the clothing we wear every day. Processes like scouring, bleaching, dyeing, and finishing are all chemically intensive and have been proven to leave behind residues that cause rashes, allergies or worse. Plus, children and babies are more prone to this as their skin is five times thinner than adults.
- Our children need a cleaner future. The environmental impact of producing conventional fabrics, applying non-eco dyes and using harmful finishing chemicals ultimately gets swallowed up by our oceans and air. Parents today should provide eco-friendly solutions for their family and reduce their footprint on the environment to play their part in reducing climate change.
- Who makes your clothing, matters. Due to organic methods and materials, fair wages and inspections can be regulated as per the norms. Your child will be able to grow at peace thanks to the soft, breathable fabric, and as a parent, you will also rest easy knowing you’ve made a wise choice. At the end of the day, it’s also about peace of mind. When we buy products made with Organic Cotton, we know that we’re not contributing to human rights violations.
- Kid-friendly and wash-proof. Harsh chemical processing can make conventional cotton fibers start to break down after just 20 washes—but did you know that organic cotton can last 5 times as long? It even gets softer with each wash, perfect for the comfort of our children.
- It reduced our impact on the planet. Synthetic fabrics such as polyester, acrylic and nylon on the other hand can take anywhere from 20 to 200 years to decompose! As a completely natural material grown in fields, cotton is fully biodegradable. This means that cotton has an amazing advantage over many other synthetic materials: We do not have to worry about cotton filling up landfill when our children’s clothing is through its useful life.
Whether you’re shopping for yourself or for your children, Organic Cotton is a clear winner for health and environment benefits. Shop online now.