Like us, you’re reading this and wondering where to start with going green in 2022. We totally feel you, living a conscious lifestyle is made up of lot's of small changes and habits. We’ve got a few top tips to kickstart your year in going green, and if you enjoy this blog post, be sure to send it to someone close to you. If more and more people start to think this way, we could have an impact that will last generations.
Each of these tips is about doing what you can to lessen your carbon footprint—both as an individual and as a consumer. So here are a few tips on how to be more eco-friendly in 2022:
- Start small. No one wakes up one day and says, “I’m going to be zero-waste starting today,” and actually does it. Part of the journey to living a more sustainable life is making mistakes and figuring out what works for you. Finding a recycling provider, starting a compost bin - any small action you can make, it’s time to stop putting it off and start creating a lasting habit!
- Get educated. The more you know about our impacts, the easier it will for you to find eco-conscious companies and brands. All this takes is a little extra thought when shopping. Learning about sustainable business practices (just like our pledge to plant 10 trees for each item sold!) and manufacturing processes. Educating yourself about materials and fillers that may be particularly damaging to the environment is the first step to avoiding them.
- Use items that last. It’s time to leave all these single-use items behind. Single-use products are terrible for the planet. They get mass-produced, often in the least sustainable ways, used and then thrown away. The nature of single-use products means that many of them are made from plastic, which can take thousands of years to break down. Most single-use products have a reusable alternative, so make sure you are looking for it. When it comes to clothing, opt for high quality items that you can love and wear for years to come.
- Mind your diet. Our mind quickly jumps to plastic bags and water bottles when we consider “eco-friendly”. But did you know that switching to a plant-based diet can reduce food emissions by an incredible 73 per cent, showing how eating less meat and dairy is one of the most effective ways we can reduce our carbon footprint. Now, we’re not saying you have to give up shawarma forever. Why not try meat-free Mondays this year, or Veganuary? Remember, start small!
- Advocate for change. Each of us has power and influence. Start a conversation with the people close to you, and get them on board with your new green habits. Climate change is directly impacting millions around the world, particularly in countries that have contributed least to greenhouse-gas emissions and communities of colour. That’s why it’s so important that we speak up about climate justice, whether that’s around your dinner table, at school or university, or on your own social media pages.
These steps will help you take steps towards a greener lifestyle. If you've read this blog post, we're glad to have you here and we hope you drop us a follow on Instagram for more eco-conscious fashion content.